With winter approaching and temperatures getting colder, you have already started planning your ice fishing trips this year. But if you plan on heading north of the border to the frozen lakes of Canada, a DWI conviction may stop you.

A DWI in Minnesota can mean that other countries won’t allow you across the border. To enter Canada with a DWI, you may have to pay extra fees or take a rehabilitation course.

A DWI makes you criminally inadmissible to Canada

Canada considers impaired driving to be a serious criminal offense. Anyone who receives a DWI or DUI charge typically cannot cross the border from the United States.

If you have a conviction on your record, officials at the Canadian border will check your criminal history and turn you away. Even if you are not the driver, the Canadian immigration enforcement considers you criminally inadmissible.

You may have to pay $200 or wait five years

To enter, you may have to pay a fee for a temporary resident permit. This fee is $200 each time you cross. But even if you pay the fee and receive the permit, Canada’s immigration enforcement can still turn you away at the border.

Five years after your DWI, you can also apply for rehabilitation. This is a lengthy process where you must prove to Canadian immigration officials that you have successfully rehabilitated and will not drink and drive anymore.

A DWI can put you on thin ice at the Canadian border.

A DWI can affect many parts of your life, including your travel plans. Canada considers a DWI conviction too serious to allow you in to the country.